A.E.G. G.IV

  • A German biplane (built by Allgemeine Elektrizitäts Gesellschaft) used for bombing operations during the First World War
  • Used primarily for short-range nighttime bombing missions
  • Along with Junkers (another German aircraft manufacturing company), A.E.G. pioneered the use of metal rather than wooden construction (the G.IV was an early attempt at using metal in larger aircraft)
  • Displays a distinctive dark geometrical pattern on its fabric covering, which was designed to camouflage the aircraft during nighttime raids
Period
First World War (1914-1918)
Uses
Bomber
First Flight
Early 1915
Display Status
On the Museum Floor

Background History

The Allgemeine Elektrizitäts Gesellschaft (A.E.G.) G.IV bomber went into general use with the German Air Force during 1917. Because of its relatively short range, the G.IV served mainly as a tactical bomber, and operated close to the front lines. The G.IV flew both day and night operations, but, as the war progressed, was restricted increasingly to night missions. A.E.G. units operated in France, Romania, Greece, and Italy.

Many night operations were nuisance raids with no specific targets, but with the intention of disrupting sleep and perhaps doing some damage. The crew was equipped with electrically heated suits and the aircraft fitted with radios. The G.IV is the only surviving aircraft displaying the distinctive German First World War “night lozenge” camouflage pattern. Although the rear gunner’s cockpit is on the top of the fuselage, his position was equipped with a hinged window in the floor for viewing and fending off pursuing aircraft.

Museum Example

Registration #
574/18 (GERMAN AF)
Manufacturer
Allgemeine Elektrizitäts Gesellschaft (A.E.G.), Germany
Manufacture Date
1918
Construction #
Unknown
Acquisition Date
1970
Provenance
Transfer from Canadian Forces
Museum Catalogue #
1967.0632.001

The Museum’s G.IV is the only surviving multi-engine German aircraft from the First World War. It was shipped to Canada as a war trophy in 1919; over the next forty years its movements were not well documented and its two 260 hp Mercedes engines were lost. The aircraft was stored in a warehouse operated by the Canadian War Museum in the 1950s. Between 1968 and 1969, it was restored by No. 6 Repair Depot, RCAF, at Trenton, and its original engines were replaced with 160 hp Mercedes engines. It was transferred to the Museum in 1970.

Technical Specifications

 

Wing Span 18.4 m (60 ft 4 in)
Length 9.7 m (31 ft 10 in)
Height 3.9 m (12 ft 8 in)
Weight, Empty 2,488 kg (5,486 lb)
Weight, Gross 3,664 kg (8,079 lb)
Cruising Speed 145 km/h (90 mph)
Max Speed 165 km/h (103 mph)
Rate of Climb 1,000 m (3,280 ft) / 5 min
Service Ceiling 4,500 m (14,760 ft)
Range 652 km (405 mi)
Power Plant two Daimler Mercedes D.IVa, 260 hp, in-line engines (specification), two Daimler Mercedes D.III, 160 hp in-line engines (museum example)