Hispano HA-1112-M1L Buchón

  • A Spanish-built fighter manufactured by La Hispano Aviación S.A. from 1944 to 1961
  • A Spanish version of the Messerschmitt Bf 109, built under licence
  • Initial versions were fitted with French Hispano-Suza engines
  • Later Spanish variants featured Rolls-Royce Merlin engines; this installation altered nose shape, leading to the name Buchón or "pouter pigeon"
  • Many different Spanish variants were built; service in the Spanish Air Force lasted until 1965
  • Was the last version of the Bf 109 to be retired from service
  • Featured in place of Bf 109s at air shows and in films
Period
Postwar (1945-1959)
Uses
Fighter
First Flight
September 1935 (Bf 109)
Display Status
In Storage Wing.

Background History

The HA-1112 airframe is a Spanish-built version of the famous Messerschmitt Bf 109G fighter. With no German engines available after 1945, early postwar versions were powered by the Hispano-Suiza engines. Later versions used the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine. Altogether there were nine different Spanish variants using either of the two engines. Production ceased in the spring of 1961. Many were sold into private hands and are still flying in the air show circuit.

The installation of the upright V-12 engine makes the nose contours of the HA-1112 quite different from those of the original Messerschmitt Bf 109G, hence its nickname “Buchon” (pouter pigeon). The Buchon are popular performers and are among the only surviving examples of the famous German aircraft that can be seen in the air.

Museum Example

Registration #
C.4K-114
Manufacturer
La Hispano Aviación S.A. Spain
Manufacture Date
1950
Construction #
164
Acquisition Date
1967
Provenance
Purchase
Museum Catalogue #
1967.0676

This Buchón was manufactured by La Hispano Aviación S.A. in Seville, Spain in the mid-1950s. It served with the 7th Fighter Bomber Wing of the Spanish Air Force. Producers of the 1960s British film Battle of Britain acquired the aircraft and used parts of it in aircraft featured in the film.

Canada's Department of Defence Production purchased the Buchón from Spitfire Productions Ltd. of London, England, for the Canadian War Museum in 1967. The aircraft arrived at Rockcliffe airport in October of that year. It was restored between 1984 and 1986, and is finished in its original Spanish Air Force markings. It was displayed from 1986 to 1999.

Technical Specifications

 

Wing Span 9.9 m (32 ft 7 in)
Length 9 m (29 ft 8 in)
Height 2.59 m (8 ft 5 in)
Weight, Empty 2,445 kg (5,390 lb)
Weight, Gross 2,859 kg (6,303 lb)
Cruising Speed 605 km/h (376 mph)
Max Speed 666 km/h (414 mph)
Rate of Climb 1,370 m (4,495 ft) /min
Service Ceiling 10,000 m (32,800 ft)
Range 766 km (476 mi)
Power Plant one Rolls-Royce Merlin 500/45, 1,600 hp, V-12 engine