Site Map | Français | Contact Us

Running About with Peterborough

View of Peterborough Lakeside runabout, 1950. (CSTMC)

Although the trade name Peterborough is commonly associated with the classic Canadian canoe, the famous Peterborough Canoe Company actually developed and produced a wide range of small recreational boats. This included small runabouts like the 1950 Lakeside model in the Museum's collection (770744). Built using the same cedar-strip method developed by John Stephenson in the 1880s and widely used in canoe construction, the Lakeside was first introduced in 1935 and remained in production until at least 1958. Designed to be driven by an outboard motor, this very pretty 4.5-m boat was part of the company's attempt to serve the enormous market for an increasingly powerful and highly versatile form of marine propulsion.

Detail of bow handle, Peterborough Lakeside runabout, 1950. (CSTMC)

Detail of Peterborough Lakeside decal, 1950. (CSTMC)