The CVR’s first road diesels were RS-3 road switchers, built by the company’s traditional supplier, Alco, in 1954. Locomotive 3901 (formerly 1860) is shown here. When the CVR later standardized their fleet with the General Motors GP-9, the RS-3s were sent (in 1958) to Canadian National Railways. The GP-9 4927 was built in 1957, and was one of five Class GRG17k locomotives equipped with steam-generating boilers for passenger service. The diesels are pictured here next to the soon-to-be demolished St Albans coaling tower.