The principal daytime passenger service on the CVR was the Ambassador, which originally travelled between Montreal and Boston. Later, at White River Junction, the train divided into two sections: one bound for New York City, the other bound for Boston. By the 1960s, service to Boston had been reduced to a diesel rail car from White River Junction. Here, the southbound train leaving St Albans in 1941 is pulled by U-1a 4-8-2 601. The station and the adjacent headquarters building show the results of various architectural changes.